Home Sweet Home

I live in the semi arid desert region of West Texas called the Permian Basin. A road trip through our part of the country offers amazing views of the sky – bright golden sunrises and watercolor sunsets so immense that they take your breath away. The land is incredibly flat and sprinkled with mesquite trees, cactus and the occasional wild flower. Breaking the monotony of the landscape, oil wells, pump jacks and wind turbines accent the horizon. Cattle ranches spread far and wide sharing the natural resources that West Texas offers. The birthplace of a U. S. President and the home of "Friday Night Lights," Odessa offers a beauty all it's own. It is a good place to build a life.



NO SKY LIKE A WEST TEXAS SKY

NO SKY LIKE A WEST TEXAS SKY
No sky like a West Texas sky

The Love of My Life

The Love of My Life
The Love of My Life

THE JOYS OF MY LIFE

THE JOYS OF MY LIFE
The Joys of my Life

Saturday, May 1, 2010

GARDENING IS LIFE

Today I dug in the dirt! That's what I do when I need to relax - I plant something. I went to four different gardening centers looking for exactly the right choices for my flower beds. These gardens align the entrance to my home, so they need to be just right. I settled on the varieties, selected the colors and bought the elements that they need to help them grow. Next, the hard part - saying good bye to my old friends. My happy "monkey faced" pansies that perked up the place all fall and winter. Then the tulips that made their surprise appearance at the first sign of springtime. They had served their purpose and it was time for them to go. With a little bit of hesitation, I pulled them up from the earth and tossed them aside. Fresh soil was added to the spent dirt. Geraniums, snapdragons, petunias and johnny jump-ups now line my front door. Still in their infancy, a few blossoms and buds have appeared. With time and the summer sun, these new seedlings will create a festive summer display. Then with time, they too will have served their purpose. Months from now, when they have grown two feet tall and are parched from the West Texas heat, they will be replaced with more "monkey faced" pansies. One day in the fall, when I feel the need to dig in the dirt.

No comments:




ME AND MY BFF

ME AND MY BFF
Bonnie Sinclair Floyd